Sunday, April 15, 2007

Big Book Roundup

Haven't talked about what I have been reading for a while, so here are some quicky reviews of the last few titles that have accompanied me on the train:



Half of a Yellow Sun, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Beautifully written, great characters, and an amazing historical backdrop. Recommended. Solid A









English, August, by Upamanyu Chatterjee. Billed as the Indian Catcher in the Rye, I liked this book for the laziness of the main character, but more for the way he grew up towards the end. A good read for your own shiftless summer. Solid B








Furies of Calderon, by Jim Butcher. Fun fantasy book set in a world where everybody can conjure spirits, and therefore using magic is the norm. I like the author from his Dresden series, and so far this doesn't disappoint. B+








Letter to a Christian Nation, by Sam Harris. Awesome! A fantastic read, insightful and intelligent...everything I wanted from the Dawkins book, without any of the smugness or arrogance. Has changed the way I think and talk about my faith and my feelings about organized religion. Highly recommended. A+

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Is that the same Sam Harris of "Over the Rainbow" fame?

Anonymous said...

So glad that you liked the Sam Harris book. I too loved it, and were I wealthy I would keep copies on me for distribution. I would suggest dabbling in his, "End of Faith," if you are interested in his deeper philosophy on the subject, but only if you REALLY want to get into his much deeper philosophy.

Alex said...

I haven't actually read 'Letter to a Christian Nation', though I suppose it SHOULD be on my to-do list. I did get a look at Sam Harris debating Reza Aslan (a noted author on Islam and the Middle East, you might have heard of his 'No God but God'). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXDoEm47q60

Oh...and guess who's going to grad school on the West Coast?? :-)