Saturday, October 13, 2007

Nice start, but...

On a couple of occasions when I have forgotten that I have TiVo and don't have to watch commercials, I have seen some ads for this group, touting themselves as do-gooders because they are providing free or reduced prescription medicines. One of the commercials I saw has grateful recipients (or actors playing such), talking about how they would have died or come close without this program.

Big Drug Companies, this is a nice start, but it's really just a drop in the bucket. People should not be dying simply because they cannot afford your pills, and they shouldn't be grateful that you dropped your exorbitant prices in an attempt to clean up your image, no matter how many times you put Montel out there with his "this is serious" look.

Here's an idea: how about a "luxury tax" style upcharge on your boner pills to really fund this program? Put your money where your [ahem] is, Pfizer, and I just might start believing that you care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is obvious who is running the pharmaceutical companies by what kind of medicines are out there. Cancer? Can't really help you. Parkinsons? Sorry. But if you are depressed and need to get a hard on, we can do that. Not so worried about serious diseases and saving lives, but they can cheer you up and give you a stiffy -- that is so long as you are wealthy because no insurance will cover those types of pills. So if you are poor and depressed, sorry about your luck.

Alex said...

I lost respect for Montel when I saw that commercial...what respect I had that is. Oh, and a good insurance actually DOES cover medication for mental health (at least student plans do), I'm just pissed that America is so over medicated on them that it stigmatizes people who REALLY need them.