Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ouch

These are the opening sentences from On Chesil Beach, by Ian McEwan:

They were young, educated, and both virgins on this, their wedding night, and they lived in a time when a conversation about sexual difficulties was plainly impossible. But it is never easy.


Ouch, indeed. This novella, a quick and painful (!) read, takes place in the early 1960s, but, as that second sentence notes, could just as easily be set in the 1860s or now. It is difficult to say that I enjoyed reading this book, but given that the core of the story is about two people failing to talk to each other, I am keeping it from the library until The Wife has a chance to read it, and we can talk about it. It will not be easy, but it is never easy. If you are half of a couple, I recommend the same.

(if this post is too Dr. Phil for you, my apologies...I'll try to get back to my snarky self in the near future)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

"This is going to be a changing day in your life."--Dr. Phil

Unknown said...

What would Dr. Phil have made of this couple's wedding night? AWKWARD!

The last ten pages or so were good enough to balance out the squeamishness of the "main event," though--would you agree?

brendon said...

I found the "main event" to be a little too juicy (sorry) for commute reading; I am always convinced there is a nun on the train, reading over my shoulder, ruler at the ready. My knuckles cringe in anticipation.

That aside, yes, I thought the end of the book is the real story, and it is that ending that I found important enough to recommend it to others. Sounds like you feel similarly.

ps. loved the snow photos...I miss weather...