Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quick turnaround

If you look at the post below, you will see that I have not posted in about a month; yes, it has been THAT hectic. There have been several large events in the past few weeks, some of which I will potentially blog about soon. But without question, the largest professional event has been my resignation from the Alameda County Public Defender's Office (last day: two days ago on Friday) and my acceptance of a new position with the San Francisco City Attorney's Office (first day: tomorrow!). Truly amazing; I interned with this office when I was in law school, and have always been excited about the idea of going back as an attorney. After many years, it is finally happening, and the quickness of the process, coupled with me not taking any time off between gigs, makes this all seem very surreal. I will probably ask the HR rep to pinch me tomorrow during my orientation. Which is probably not the best first impression to make.



The last week at my previous job (even typing that seems weird!) was really wonderful, if jam-packed and moving at light speed. I had going-away luncheons at both the office and court, and was on the receiving end of some really thoughtful words and gifts. I am a truly lucky person to be leaving a job I loved to move on to a position I have been excited about and wanted to try for quite some time.


The biggest immediate change will be my commute; when I was going across the Bay, I had to take two trains, then pick up a car to get my files at the office and then drive to court. Total time one way: about an hour and a half...if traffic was on my side. Now, I will be taking one train each way, and that's it. Total time one way: about twenty minutes...and that is if traffic is slow. Nice. I am hopeful that my thirteen hour days away from home will become a thing of the past, and maybe I will finally have some time to ask this woman who apparently lives with me out on a date or something. She seems pretty cool, and she doesn't even mind the cats... :)

More updates soon, but thought I should let people know I'm still breathing. Moving fast, but breathing.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Congrats!!! Sounds really exciting! Keep us updated!