Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Go...Joe...Char-bo-neau!

I should let you know at the beginning that I am not a fan of baseball; I find it dull and tedious, like watching golf or Emeril. However, I have some surprisingly positive memories of baseball from my childhood that surfaced this morning.

I was leaving for school and flipping past ESPN2's morning show Cold Pizza when I saw that they were broadcasting from Cleveland's Jacobs Field, a beautiful ball park that took the place of the gargantuan Municipal Field I grew up with. The interviewer was talking to a bald guy I didn't recognize until he said the magic name: "Super" Joe Charboneau!

Here's why that meant something: the Cleveland Indians, despite brief glimmers of hope, are losers. So when even a mediocre player comes their way, the fans embrace him like the Second Coming. When I was a kid, Joe Charboneau stormed into Cleveland like a rock star. For the couple years (really only one full season) he played before getting injured, he inspired t-shirts (I had one!) and even a song that I immediately began singing out loud this morning, much to the delight, no doubt, of my still-sleeping spouse.

As I am studying for the Bar, it's nice to have a positive memory like rooting for Joe Charboneau with my brother and my babysitter, who even took us to a game once (I didn't catch a ball, but I think I had a hot dog, and I bet it was pretty tasty). I need to call my brother and share this with him.

It's also a little disconcerting that I have a tough time remembering laws I studied last night, but can instantly recall the words to a song I heard on the radio over 24 years ago. Come on, brain! I thought we were in this together!

No comments: