Thursday, December 30, 2004

Maybe "Lancealittle" was too subtle?

I watched the movie Shrek last night; I had seen parts while visiting my brother and his family last month, but wanted to see it from start to finish. Now, while I admit freely that I used to be a stormtrooper for the Disney Corporation and therefore predisposed to dislike "outside" animation, I was a little surprised at the crude humor throughout the movie.

The fart and poop jokes, the obligatory hit in the crotch: I get that, it's a kid movie. Unfortunate, but par for the course. But the numerous references to tiny genitals, Robin Hood wanting oral sex, and whatever Lord Farquaad was doing under his sheets? Wow. I'm not saying I was offended or anything, but I thought the whole "movie kids and adults will both enjoy" usually involves adults getting inside joke references to pop culture, not animated characters masturbating.

Way to go, DreamWorks! If you can't beat them, go the route of the lowest common denominator. Sadly, it usually works, and I have a feeling Shrek 3: Spring Break! is looming on the horizon.

1 comment:

brendon said...

BTW, we watched _Shrek 2_ last night (Netflix mailed it before I had a chance to cancel), and it was vastly superior to the first movie. Hopefully, this means that Dreamworks figured out it could make a decent movie and not go so low-brow next time. Kudos to the learning curve!