Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Roller Coaster Monday

Monday was a good day. I thought it was going to be just awful, but then things turned around, and partly due to my low expectations, it turned out great.

To start, I handled a trial that should not have been a trial: there were no real legal issues, but instead a parent wanted to take the stand and talk about what bad kid the minor was, and the minor wanted to take the stand and talk about what a bad person the parent was. I am not usually in the mood to allow families to waste court time and resources so they can act out their favorite scenes from The Jerry Springer Show, so I was dreading going in there and trying to settle it. I also ended up coming into the office on Sunday (a big government lawyer no-no) to prepare for Monday, doubling my displeasure. Not off to a good start.

But then things took a turn. I was able to talk the parent into settling, I got what the minor wanted/needed, and things only disintegrated into reality television in the hallway, not in the court room. Very nice.

Then, on the way back to the office, I spotted what looked like a dollar bill on the sidewalk. I looked around to see if anybody was walking by who may have dropped it, but I was alone. I bent down to pick it up, and that wasn't Washington looking at me, but Jackson giving me a little wink. Not wanting to offend the seventh president (he once killed a man for insulting his wife; the least I could do was spend him!), I offered him a ride...in my wallet.

When I got to the office, two lawyers I work with, but who work in another court (and therefore I don't know them as well as I'd like), asked me if I wanted to go to lunch. I had settled my case, had an extra 20 spot in my pocket, so absolutely! We had a nice chat, blew off some steam, and I was able to subsidize a large portion of our salads.

Like Ice Cube said...today was a good day...

No comments: