Friday, September 21, 2007

Embedded in Hayward

This morning, the courthouse I am assigned to was evacuated due to a bomb scare. Long morning; the highlight was the giant explosion when the bomb squad detonated a suspicious garbage can after the sniffer dogs marked it as containing "something." Since there was no evidence of any explosive devices, I suppose that could have included a chicken salad sandwich.

After they blew up the suspicious garbage can, we were allowed back inside. Imagine my surprise when, over two hours later when we left for lunch, the destroyed garbage can, complete with garbage and other jagged metal shards, was still lying around. The Social Services Agency is across the street, including Child Protective Services; maybe this was some new "parenting obstacle course," and if you don't let your kids play with the shrapnel, you get to take them home?

Here's a little video I shot, in case you were hoping I was exaggerating:



I feel like I'm ready to be a correspondent in Anbar province.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Love the video. You have a future in broadcasting, young man!

PS Glad you didn't get all blowed up.