Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Should I feel dirty watching the Olympics?

Misty May, member of the US Olympic Women's Beach Volleyball team, has a mole on her left inner thigh.

I really shouldn't know this. Her doctor should know this.

But I know this because when NBC flew to Greece for its Olympic coverage, they forgot to pack their shame. Their coverage of Women's Beach Volleyball has been the most overtly sexual thing on my television ever since my wife made me call the cable company and tell them we were getting Cinemax for free.

And just in case NBC's slow-motion replays of the women diving into the sand from every angle aren't enough for you, there's more. In between games, the venue actually has female cheerleaders in even more revealing swimwear (not easy to do) dance suggestively while the atheletes take a break.

Maybe I should be outraged, maybe it's a celebration of women taking control of their sexuality, or maybe it's just sex-marketing business as usual. Let me know what you decide. In the meantime, I'll probably be making disapproving comments...but probably not changing the channel.

And Misty? I'd get that looked at, if I were you.

2 comments:

Jason said...

love that women's volleyball.

love,
Jason

brendon said...

That was pretty wild; the next morning on _Today_, Matt had them on and showed a "butt-slap" montage of the two players that culminated with that dive into the sand after they won. I needed a cigarette... :)