Sunday, July 15, 2007

Thank you! Come again!

In what may be the best movie promotional campaign ever, 7-11 converted twelve of its stores into Kwik-E-Marts to promote the upcoming Simpsons movie. When I found out that one was within easy driving distance, I knew my mission was clear. As you can see from the photo, many people shared my mission, to the point where they had a bouncer letting people in a few at a time. If you wanted to just buy something normal...sorry...


Immediately inside is your Hindu friend and mine, Apu, welcoming all customers and assuring you that you will be gouged. Other life-sized supporting characters include Chief Wiggum, Comic Book Guy, Ralph, and the most inspired, Jasper inside the ice freezer as Frostilicus.



There was a small selection of show-themed items, including Squishees, Buzz Cola (fountain, not cans...dammit...), Frosted Krusty-Os cereal [sold out, "should get more tomorrow"], issue #711 (get it?) of Radioactive Man [also sold out, also theoretically in tomorrow], and of course, Homer's favorite pink donuts, here being stocked by a Kwik-E-Mart employee who, like his coworkers, seemed very surprised that there were so many people intentionally coming into his otherwise crappy store.

A good pilgrimage, and certainly worth the drive. I guess I am sort of okay with them being sold out of the cereal and comic books; I can't imagine eating the cereal, and both would have sat around until The Wife decided it was time for them to be thrown away. I did have a Squishee, which tasted suspiciously like a Slurpee, and I did buy two of Homer's donuts, and how can you screw up donuts? Good trip, good time, and looking forward to the movie.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think there are only eleven such stores formerly known as 7-11.

brendon said...

This link shows twelve cities, so I assume that's the number of stores...but what an oddly anal comment to leave on my blog? Thanks for visiting!