Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I have the conch...for now

We had an out-of-town visitor recently, and her presence in our small house made me painfully aware of just how much television I sit in front of. Not "watch," necessarily, but just have on all the time. I need to get more books.

Anyway, when I am honest with myself, I have the television on a lot, but I actually don't watch that many shows regularly. I am trying to keep that number down, since investing in new shows requires dedicating more of my brain to names, subplots, etc. I just shouldn't have the time for that.

So anyway, my new show this season is probably going to be Lost, which has the best chances for keeping me interested. I love "stranded" stories, esp. the elements of how you would survive in a strange situation with very few tools, resources, etc. I am also a sucker for X-Files-esque monsters and mysteries, both of which are apparently going to be staples on this show. And finally, I really love the whole Lord of the Flies, create a new society, what happens when the cops are gone and there are no legal consequences to your actions, sort of story.

For now, I'm in.

1 comment:

brendon said...

It is, and I hope it stays that way...when the kid was reading the comic book with the picture of the polar bear, and then there _was_ a polar bear on the island, I had this moment of panic that this show will devolve into a bad Twilight Zone episode, where everything the kid imagines comes true, and he's really the only survivor, and everybody's just a figment of his imagination, etc.

I hope that I am VERY wrong!