Monday, May 08, 2006

Dirty, filthy Diana

We went to see the ballet Sylvia yesterday (by the way, if you are keeping count, that's two ballets in the last three weeks...that, and I wear a suit to work every day...what happened to me?), and overall, I was impressed. Like the others, I cannot stand it when they break the story to have a dance recital; this one was even worse, because not only did the story come to a grinding, screeching halt so the leads could have their solo time, but after they danced, they bowed to the audience! Why not just hold up "Applause" cards, and let the other dancers on stage drink coffee? My better half assures me this is normal for ballet, so the lead dancers can assert their alpha dog dominance over the others, but for me (the admittedly uninformed viewer), it is just boring and painful.

The interesting thing with yesterday's performance was that it was the last of the season for this particular show, so they let someone from the company (she's at the top of the window) dance the lead role. I am not sure if that means she is getting promoted, or if they were just throwing her a bone on the last day; either way, she was okay, but the male lead and the principal in the role of Diana were definitely the showstoppers.

1 comment:

brendon said...

Sadly, no. The Dance of the Ovens would be something to see!!